Name: David Dye
Occupation: Route Sales Specialist at Purity Dairies
Years running: 7
Why do you run?
I started to run to get healthy and lose weight. I loved exercising with a group to push me and hold me accountable from day to day. I love the peace and quite while running on trails. I enjoy being detached from everything for a few hours.
Favorite place to run:
My favorite place to run is Percy Werner Park in Nashville. I did my first trail run there and have put many miles on the different trails and roads since. It is an amazing place.
Completing 100 mile races. I never dreamed I could ever run that far in the past. It’s always an amazing feeling each time I cross the finish line at each one and say “I just ran 100 miles straight!”
Toughest moment in a race:
When I was in the middle of The Barkley Fall Classic a few years ago, I was ready to quit around mile 32. I was sitting on a log half way up Chimney Top really tired and dehydrated. A lady came up to me and told me to get up and get moving, you have to finish the race just to get back to tour car. I ended up running back and finished well because of her.
Goals for 2017:
Stay healthy and not overtrain, and to focus on the things that I always seem to skip like stretching and cross training.
Race Schedule for 2017:
- Jan 9: Cloudland Canyon
- Jan 28: Black Toe 12hr Relay
- February 19: Dry Creek Trail Races – Marathon
- March 25: McKays Hollow 25k
- April 1: Georgia Death Race
- April 28-30: Vituda Stage Race
- May 20: Quest for the Crest 50k
- June 17: Jackal Trail Marathon
- June 18: Backass Jackal Trail Marathon
- June 19: Asphalt Road Marathon
- June 20: Dragonfly Road Marathon
- June 21: Native Trail Marathon
- June 24: Pacing Western States 100
- August 19: Backyard Classic 8hr Race
- Sept 16: Barkley Fall Classic
- Nov 4: Pinhoti 100 Trail Race
Tips for new runners:
My tip for a new person just getting into trail running is to start slow and enjoy your surroundings. Don’t focus on time and distance.